Thursday, June 10, 2010

Weekly wrap-up

Sorry for the delay. I've just been wicked tired from practice and haven't had the strength to move my fingers to type. ha. That's a lame excuse. The real reason is because life hasn't been as exciting as the first few days in South Florida. Anyway I'll try and inform you as to what has been happening.

Practice on Tuesday was much better than Monday. I lasted more than 30 minutes. So that's a plus. I didn't have the urge to run to the side of the court and enjoy my breakfast twice. Another plus. And I didn't lose to another kid the size of the net strap. Triple plus. So overall a great day by my standards as far as practice goes. Then later in the day at dinner I got to enjoy a great conversation that consisted of question after question after question after question which all asked the same thing and the answer was simply 'I don't know'. Like asking the same question phrased differently is going to get a different answer. No I don't think that is how it works. It was like Chinese water torture where the drips fall onto your forehead and you can't do anything about it, it just makes you go insane. Yeah, that's what it was like. Then after dinner we wanted to get out of the house but in a retirement community there isn't much of a nightlife besides the 'arcade'. Well this was not the type of arcade I had in my mind. You walk into this place, the lights dim, the air smells of oldness, and all you hear are buttons being pressed as the slots are rolling. You turn the corner and all you see are walkers spewed along the walls and an oxygen tank or two. Then you see them. Senior citizens with their eyes glued on the screen anticipating their next big win (which only is only about 5 bucks). Yeah this was my kind of place...not really. It was weird being in a place where I was the youngest by about 50 years. But besides all that is was kinda fun. It wasted time, we got out of the house, and lost only a dollar. So overall it wasn't such a bad day.

On Wednesday I practiced for the entire two hours! Yeah you read it right. Bring out the confetti as I take a bow. Thank you very much. I think it was because I was ecstatic about what I was going to have for dinner later in the day. The whole day I had the Pointer Sisters song I'm So Excited in my head so how can you not have energy. Dinner was planned for a Cuban restaurant that my family loves. They have the BEST plantain chips served with garlic sauce. It might sound gross but don't knock it till you try it. mmmm delicious. So while practicing that's all I could think of. Lose a point here, shank a ball there I could care less because I knew what was coming. I actually played pretty good not caring too much. Maybe I should try that during my matches.

And today nothing but the same. Practice went well. I stayed vertical. I guess it takes someone like myself three days to get acclimated to the heat and humidity here. So not such a bad week of practice after a few days off. Had good company here but don't want to overstay my welcome. So tomorrow we ride off to Mt. Pleasant, SC for my first tournament as a professional tennis player. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment