Sunday, June 27, 2010

We are the champions

Hello again. Well its deja vu all over again. I ended up losing in the quarterfinals in singles and then won the doubles with Sanaz Marand. So not too shabby. Well here is a little re-cap of the week.

My first round match in singles was against a girl from Colombia. She couldn't make more than 3 balls in the court. However, she did have some occasional rockets that made their way to the corners of the court. But other than that it was just an ordinary day at the office. I won easily 6-1 6-1. Then second round I ended up having to play my doubles partner Sanaz. And it is tough playing a friend of yours. You start to feel bad at the beginning and then you kind of just say 'screw it. I want to win.' You're 'come ons' get a little louder as the match continues. But it was a battle I ended up getting blanked in the 1st set then came back and won the next 2. So it was 0-6 6-4 6-3. Then in the quarters I played a girl from Finland who looked like she wasn't going to get to a lot of balls but she did and made a good defensive play. So I ended up losing 3-6 6-7(5). I played better towards the end of the match but I lost focus and made a few too many mistakes. But you live and learn I guess.

In doubles we had a close match first round against two players who just had the belief that they would win, but not the ability. So we ended up winning I think 6-1 6-4. But who cares about the score. All that matters is we won. Then the next round I had to play against my doubles partner from last week Kaitlyn and her new partner. We struggled a little bit but ended up winning in straight sets 4 and 3. Then in the 3rd round we played two girls who liked to hit the crap out of the ball. Well too bad for them because we were on fire that day. We ended up killing them 6-0 6-1. They were lucky to get that one game thanks to the no-ad rule and a fluke return winner from one of the girls. Then in the finals we again played two girls who liked to really hit the ball hard. We started the match and they were just smacking return winners and hitting aces. We couldn't do much but wait for them to cool off and that is just what happened. They were up in the 1st set 4-1 and that was the last games they won. We won the next 11 games in a row to win the tournament. They even tried to change the momentum of the match by taking a 'bathroom break'. Well it did them some real good because the next game the girl who was serving double faulted twice, whiffed a forehand and then a well placed volley by Sanaz gave us the game. So nice try ladies! But we just played really well the 2nd set I don't think we would have lost anyways.

Oh forgot to say, the club that we played at was awesome. They had a man-made lake that had a small beach so you could relax on the lounge chairs and listen to the fountains. They also had this huge blow up thing called the 'Blob'. Where a person (a) would be on one end of it as another person (b) standing 10 feet above jumps on the other end and skyrockets the other person (a) into the air and into the lake. It was soooo much fun. A little scary standing at the top and if you didn't land on it perfectly you slid into the water. If you have ever seen heavy weights it is the same thing that Ben Stiller pops with a spear. But it is so fun. I wish I had one.

So that was that for Cleveland, Ohio. Now it is off to Boca Raton, Fl for a USTA camp were they have you play tennis for 5 hours a day plus fitness and an educational session. I hope I make it through the week. Wish me luck! I keep everyone informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment