Monday, June 28, 2010

USTA Camp - Chapter 1

Last night I flew into Ft. Lauderdale from Cleveland and to my surprise nothing was delayed too bad and the flight wasn't so bad either. In Cleveland I got onto the plane and sat in seat 1a then 5 minutes later a monstrous thunderstorm came rolling in. It looked like a monsoon outside and the lightning was like paparazzi. It was crazy. But the storm past quickly, thank goodness, I did not want to fly in that. But took off and headed for Detroit which was about a 25 minute flight. I got to listen to my Ipod for a total of 8 minutes. Really enjoyable. Half of the time I was looking for something good to listen to. But whatever we landed safely then went straight to my gate for my 2nd flight. On the plane they said it had free wifi but it isn't free, which sucks. To get it you have to sign up for all this crap that you are never going to use, ever. So that was kinda disappointing so I watched Fever Pitch instead. Then about 30 minutes left to the flight there were thunderstorms out the window. Then the pilot comes on and says its going to be turbulant so buckle up in a deep meaningful voice. A little scary to hear but it wasn't bad. It actually was wicked cool to see. And that was that. I got in at about 10:45, then got to the hotel around 11:30 and in bed by midnight.

I woke up at 7 wondering 'where am I' and 'why am I getting up so early'. Well turns out I needed to get up to participate in the USTA Summer Camp held for a few top college players. For those who don't know about it well here is how the 12 players are picked:
a) Top 6 American players in the final rankings are automatically selected
b) Two spots for the highest American doubles team
c) One spot for the highest finishing American in the NCAAs
d) The other 6 spots are decided by a committee of USTA Player Development Staff, USTA National Coaches, ITA Staff, and current college coaches.

So for this week the best American collegiate tennis players are practicing together. It's pretty cool actually. You get the chance to know them for who they really are and not just a tennis player you are supposed to hate because they are the enemy. So it's a awesome experience. And you have some of the best coaches in the country there with you helping you out and giving you advice.

Well today it started and I actually got to take the day off, well sort of. I warm-up with everyone then did some knee re-hab and shoulder exercises all while the others were outside running around in the heat wanting to probably die. I did feel bad for them because I ended up going outside and watching as they were running around. Then in the afternoon it was the same. We did a short 'educational session' which was on nutrition for tennis which served its point. You did learn something. After that I ended up biking for 30 minutes because I felt like I should be doing something even though my idea of a day off is doing nothing besides watching tv or a movie. But I felt good that I did something productive. Then I waited around for about an hour as the others finished up their afternoon practice. It was a pretty boring day but oh well days off for me are.

So tomorrow I'll officially start the USTA Camp. I hope it won't be as bad as 3 weeks ago...Check back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment