Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What the...

I just looked up my tournament schedule and realized that I got into the qualifying draw of a 100k tournament but I didn't get into a 25k. Interesting. For those of you who don't know what this means I'll explain...

There is a structure that applies to WTA tennis tournaments. The lowest are the Circuit Events, then International Events, then Premier Events, and lastly the highest which are the 4 Premier Mandatory Events which also called Grand Slams (these are the ones you see on TV held in New York, London, Paris, and Melbourne). You start by playing in the Circuit Events to gain points and these points allow you to qualify for the upper levels of the tennis structure.

I am currently playing in the Circuit Events. Now the lowest of the Circuit Events are the 10k tournaments. The next is a 25k, then 50k, 75k, and lastly a 100k. So as you can see a 25k is lower than a 100k. This has got me wondering how on earth does one qualify for a 100k and not a 25k. Crazy. I guess everyone who is a tennis player in the U.S. is playing the 25k. Oh well. I would rather play the 100k and play well, which means you get more points and more money. There is also more highly ranked players, so the experience should be great. Well we'll see when I get there...

1 comment: