Tuesday, February 22, 2011

ATP Delray Beach

Today I got the chance to watch some of the men's matches over in Delray Beach at the Delray Beach International. This is the tournament Roddick withdrew from following his win over in Memphis. But I got to see the giant Ivo Karlovic play Janko Tipsarevic. That was an interesting match. Ivo is a huge compared to Janko. But the first set went the distance and Janko edged Ivo in the tiebreaker 16-14. Ivo had a bunch of set points but Janko got lucky with a couple returns, and Janko even hit a second serve ace down set point. Talk about being ballsy. But it paid off. Janko ended up winning the match in another tiebreaker 7-1 but he was up 5-2 in the second and on his match point at 5-3 he passed Ivo at the net and the linesman called the ball out but it clearly was on the line. But I have to say Ivo has a nasty backhand slice. That ball doesn't come off the ground at all. If only he could move... but that's what you get when you're almost 7 feet tall. Better luck next time.

Then I got to watch Mardy Fish take on Bjorn Phau (pronounced POW) but that wasn't too exciting Phau retired down 5-0. The guy couldn't move. I think they said he was sick or something. But it looked like it. He was missing by about 6 feet on some shots and shanking others. But that's a nice round for Fish. I wish I could play people who retire. I think in my 17 years of playing tennis I think 1 girl retired against me. It must be more common in the higher level pro tournaments. But who knows maybe I'll get a few in the future. Anyway some other players that were there playing were Donald Young and Kevin Anderson. I didn't get to watch the match but Anderson won 67(5) 76(4) 62. Seems like it was a good match by the score but who knows.

That was my afternoon, it was a good learning experience I guess you could say. Saw some good players, some good matches, got sunburned so all in all it was a good day... But I'm still trying to figure out where I'm headed next. When I figure it out I'll let you all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment