Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Midland, MI

Midland, Michigan. Home to over 40 thousand of which about 4 thousand are members of the USTA. This place was called best tennis town in the national a few years back. Now it holds a 100k tournament in the middle of winter. A tournament where I did not fair too well. Losing to Alexandra Stevenson in the 1st round of qualies. I lost but so did the Steelers, so I can be happy about one thing. I saw some good matches and did some fun things like the tournaments Community Outreach Program where I went to a school and talked to a bunch of 10-12 year old kids. I showed them how to serve, hit forehands and backhands, and volleys. I answered some of their questions like 'Do you need to wear your hair in a ponytail when playing tennis?' or 'Have you ever played tennis sick?' So they were fun questions, nothing too serious. I made sure to use words and terms they would understand because I've made that mistake before and all I got were crickets sounds and little blank stares. But it was great they all seemed to enjoy themselves. I even got a few of the kids to come down and hit and as the kids got rowdier I just saw the Principal's face like 'what is she doing?' Oh well, they enjoyed it and so did I.

I also got to take part in a dinner for the sponsors and players that was held at the town's Country Club. That was interesting. I think I was the 2nd player to arrive and all there was was a sea of adults in their suits and ties, dresses and high heels, and I'm in my jeans and a sweater feeling way out of place. But I knew this when I walked by the open bar where all the adults were and I overheard "Return Investment" and "Real Estate Assets". I thought no comprende and walked the other way. But I ended up finding a few players I knew and sat with them for the evening. By the time desserts were being eaten all the players needed to go up on stage and say a few words. I thought 1) Crap I need to talk in front of this large crowd and 2) I hope my face doesn't look like the fat kid who just downed a chocolate cake! But it wasn't too bad. We were told we could just say our name and where we are from and if you wanted you could say whatever. But it turns out I had to speak last and everyone before me practically told their whole life story so I couldn't just say my name and where I was from. So I just said a little thank you to the sponsors for putting such a nice tournament together. And said I'll be back next year. So that was the evening. A little embarrassing and a few awkward turtle moments but it was a fun event, and I was glad to go.

Now I get to head back to Florida and thaw out before my next few tournaments in March, where I'll be looking to end my drought of not qualifying. So this will be an important couple of weeks, just practicing and staying healthy. I'll keep you guys posted. Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Once you retire from tennis (and are able to keep mom and dad in a style they would like to become accustomed to) you can be a sports writer...or just muse on everyday life. Really, you have a gift for writing as well as tennis.

    ReplyDelete