Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Common Courtesy

Lately I've been hearing and seeing a lot of pro tour players being mean to the ball kids. I saw Azarenka yelling at the ball kids, several players in lowel level tournaments I've seen yelling at the kids. So all I can say is why? They haven't done anything wrong. Maybe they didn't get back to their spot before you started serving but who cares, give them a break. Maybe they couldn't understand that you meant towel but they gave you the tennis balls instead. Who cares! They are just kids. They look up to the players and for the players to treat the kids badly it is uncalled for.

When I was playing a tournament down in Australia last year a player was yelling at a ball kid for something, but he was literally screaming at the kid so loud you could hear him across the site. It was ridiculous. I was playing on the next court at the time and as this player was going on and on about how bad the ball kids were I turned and told my ball kids that they were doing a great job, and the smiles that I got from them was something that was a way better than winning a match. No one likes to get yelled at, especially not an innocent little kid.

That aggravates me when players are mean to the kids. This sport is full of Divas. Kids look up to the tennis players as role models or look at them like it's their own superhero and for the players to yell at them is ridiculous. I've seen this going on for a while now and just thought I would share my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment