Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sunderland, GBR - Day Six

We played the doubles final today and guess what? We won!!! Yippy. Not bad for my 3rd tournament back. But we ended up winning 6-2, 6-4, 10-8 against Borecka (who I lost to in singles, and yes, revenge is a dish best served cold haha) and her partner Krejsova from the Czech Republic. It was a great match. The first set was pretty straight forward. We broke them a couple of times to take the set. But in the set I felt as though we were playing a lot more aggressive then our opponents. They were making more of the mistakes and Eva seemed to hit a bunch winners because the girl kept trying to cross waaaaay to soon, so Eva just hit her forehand down the line for a winner. And I seemed to hit a lot of volley winners. They tried to pass me down the line but I was covering it, or they didn't quite hit their cross courts just right and I was able to cross. So that pretty much was the 1st set.

In the second set our opponents played better. They didn't hit as many mistakes as they did in the first set. They also didn't try to pass me down the line. I think in the 2nd set they tried twice compared to about 10 times in the first. They also hit their cross courts a lot better. Instead of hitting it near the middle it was much closer to the alley, away from me at the net. But in the second I did miss about 4 low volleys that I shouldn't of and maybe that cost us some momentum but who knows. We ended up getting broken off of a deuce point that was about a 20 ball rally (crazy) and that was the set. We had opportunities to get the break back but again the deuce point was a let down.

Then in the third set tiebreaker we got off to a good start. We got up 4-2 and things seemed to be rolling along smoothly. We got up 7-5 and then things started to get a bit closer. We got up 9-5 when I completely miss hit my return and the girl at the net flubbed the volley off the frame of her racket and it went well wide. Then here is where it started to get a bit rocky. Then next point I ended up serving and volleying but I missed my low forehand volley. And what did I say in the previous post...make your 1st volley? Yeah I apparently forgot the rules. So 9-6 now. The next point both Eva and I got to the net and had our opponents backing up. Eva got an easy overhead, but I think had too much time to think about it because it sailed well long, like to the curtain long. hahah. 9-7. Disappointing but it was fine, we were still one point away and they were 4 away. The next point was about a 15 ball rally. Eva and I got to the net and our opponents were both on the baseline. They started hitting lobs and neither of us wanted to make another overhead mistake, so we were just hitting it back and not really going for it. So they ended up getting a lob over our head and Eva runs back to get it and I'm  still up at net and our opponents are still on the baseline. They hit about 10 balls to Eva and I'm just kind of standing there looking to cross but they were hitting the ball in the alley, and eventually Eva hit it in the net. 9-8. At this point we were a bit frustrated because we knew the match should have been over by now, but we knew we had to win this next point because once at 9-9 anything could happen. So the last point I hit a backhand return cross court and come forward. One of the opponents hit a lob over Eva's head, but I run over and hit an over back deep down the line and the girl pulls the next shot wide cross court. It was close too, probably an inch and a half out. And that was the match. Not a bad showing for the first time Eva and I played together. So I'm really happy. It's always nice to win something, no matter if it's singles or doubles. A win builds your confidence up. Now I'm off to Loughborough tomorrow for the 2nd and last week here in England. Until then. Cheerio

No comments:

Post a Comment