Friday, September 24, 2010

Athlete's Don't Walk

So for the past few weeks all I have really be doing is playing tennis and working out. A couple weeks ago I was supposed to play 3 tournaments out West but that was stratched from the schedule so instead I got to do two-a-day fitnesses. I did about an hour and a half of either lifting, running, agility, or plyometrics followed by an hour of tennis a break for lunch and then another hour and a half of cardio, sprints, lifting or any other form of exercise that made me gasp for air. So I started that on a Monday and by Thursday I hit my breaking point. I could barely walk I was so sore and tired but it was actually very helpful. The next week I was promoted to 2 tennis hits a day and 1 fitness session. I was so happy. Since then my tennis has gotten a lot better and so has my fitness.

But for the last two weeks we have been working out with Pat Etcheberry who has trained many top professionals like Justine Henin, Pete Sampras, even a few pro golfers and NFL players. So the man knows his stuff. As he said you need to build a good foundation before you put the roof on. So 3 times a week we were running laps on a soccer field and the other 2 days were agility, lifting, and medicine ball throws. So by the end of the week I was pretty beat. Especially this week when we ran laps on the field after a tough day of practice followed by the next day of an hour and a half drilling with no breaks...here's how it went. Our coach was hand tossing about 10 balls then once your turn ended you ran to pick up the balls that you hit on the other side of the court. Then you would run back to the side where the coach was and you hit another 10 balls. We did this over and over for an hour and a half! At the start of practice he told us to warm up then get a drink because we wouldn't get another break until the end of practice, unless you could pick up the balls and grab a quick drink before it was your turn again. We all looked at each other like are you serious?! Well he was. But even though the practice was exhausting a lot of good got out of it. Now I have the weekend off, so I can finally sleep past 7:15am. Then onto a new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment