Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hechingen, Germany

This week I was playing in Hechingen, Germany which is about an hour long train ride south of Stuttgart. It’s a small town located where mountains in the south transform into a sprawling countryside to the north. From the train the town looked to have a medieval feel to it but on the outskirts of town are today’s modern houses and buildings followed by fields as far as the eye can see. And atop the highest mountain lies Hohenzollern Castle looking down on Hechingen.
On my journey there I managed to make the sign in deadline by about 25 minutes. I planned out my trip and I would have gotten there at about 4pm but one of my trains was delayed and so I missed the next one and was forced to wait in line for 30 minutes at the ticket office to get on another train. During the wait I was trying to figure out the timing and panicking that I won’t get to the tournament in time and getting angry at the people behind the desk because they were just sitting there not helping anyone. (Like the USPS - Oh the line is out the door, I think I’ll take my break now.) Finally my number gets called and the man at the desk puts me on a train that was leaving in five minutes, so I run out of the office with my backpack, tennis bag, and big suitcase (thank goodness for wheels) and weave in and out of people and board my train just as the doors shut behind me. Usually I would rather miss my transportation than look like an idiot running through the station but I needed to get to the tournament before six to sign in.  So on this next train we arrived about five minutes late and I’m praying the next train didn’t leave. So I get to the platform and there isn’t a train so I thought great I missed it but on the board it said it was five minutes late. Thank goodness. But I managed to get onto that one, and made all the other trains and got to the tournament with time to spare.
First round of qualifying I played an Italian, Stefanelli and won 6-3,6-1. It was a good first round. I served well, I felt like I was hitting well and moving well. But the only bad thing was the court. There were many bad bounces and something like a trench right behind the baseline. So when you go to serve it’s like your back foot is two inches lower than your front foot. But other than that everything was fine.
After the match another player from Australia, Leah (who I met at a previous tournament) went to the castle to have a look around. Now for those of you who don’t care for a history lesson I suggest skipping down to the next paragraph. So the tournament driver, Günter (strong German name) tells us he’ll drop us off and then it is a ten minute walk up to the castle. Well the ten minute walk was straight uphill. I felt like I was walking on 10.0 incline on the treadmill. A few minutes in my calfs were burning, then I was starting to sweat, and then I was huffing and puffing my way up the hill. Once the hill was over with there were stairs probably 200 steps. I have to say the stairs were easier than the hill. And after the stairs were over there was one final hill but not as steep as the previous. Once at the top I felt like holding my arms above my head and jump around like Rocky. But anyway the castle was part of the Hohenzollern dynasty, which a book in 1267 described it as the “crown of all castles in Swabia” (Swabia is the countryside region of this area.) The Hohenzollern lineage was divided into the Swabian and Franconian after Count Frederick III. von Zollern’s (around 1200)  wife died and he inherited all possessions and titles. The Swabian lineage remained in the region while the Franconian lineage expanded. The Franconian lineage went on to bigger and better things. In 1701 Frederick III (1657-1713) crowned himself King of Prussia and King William I. (1797-1888) won the Franco-Prussian War and he was known as German Emperor in 1871. (I remember the Franco-Prussia War topic coming up in history class, but remember nothing about it.) The Swabian lineage on the other hand had an inheritance dispute between two brothers Frederick XII (1443) and Eitel Frederick I (1439) and after ten months of fighting they destroyed the castle in 1423. Then in 1454 Count Jost Nicholas von Zollern began reconstructing the castle. Now skipping a few hundred years the castle was taken over by the Austrians then the castle lost its military importance and soon was reduced to ruins. Then in 1819 Crown Prince Frederick William IV of Prussia visited and ordered his men to reconstruct it. Then because of financial difficulties a contract was written between the family branches for the upkeep. The crown prince carried two-thirds of the building costs, and the Swabian lines one third. As of today, still two-thirds is owned by the Prussian line and one-third the Swabian line. The castle was finally completed October 3, 1867 but was never a residence for the Hohenzollern family, up until 1945 family members only visited. It was just a symbol of the rise of the Hohenzollern… That was a lot of information taken out of the booklet I got. I feel like I’m back at school now writing a paper. Glad that part is over and done with. Now when this German history comes up on Jeopardy you’ll be ready! But the castle was amazing. As you entered the castle you worked your way up to the courtyard by a ramp shaped like a corkscrew which covered about 75 feet in altitude. In the three overlapping loops it had three different drawbridges each with deep ditch below. Once out of the ramp the tunnel opened into a large courtyard where you would find entrances to a chapel, the garden, the armory, and the residence rooms. Inside the rooms I was amazed by the detailing of just about every aspect of the room. We weren’t allowed to take any pictures of inside but there were marble columns, marble floors, painted gold and blue ribbed ceilings, three 50 candle bronze chandeliers, a library filled with oak book cases, murals painted in the 1800s, colored glass windows, a treasury room that held the red velvet, diamond laced Royal Prussian crown, three snuff boxes covered in precious gems, and another that saved the King's life as it stopped a bullet fired at him during one of his battles, medals of honor such as the Order of the Black Eagle, and gold drinking glasses and tableware. Needless to say, there were a lot of valuable items. I did manage to take some pictures when the guides weren’t looking, but they were roaming around like hawks in a field full of mice. It was a great experience that’s for sure. Going back in time to see how royalty lived is something I won’t forget. Well I hope I didn’t bore you to death with my history lesson, or completely confuse you. But now back to tennis.
My second round of qualifying I played against a Ukrainian and won 6-2, 7-6(0). The day started off a bit rainy so the clay was very slow and still had water underneath. But the first set went well. I hit a bunch of forehands and went after my shots. The second set she started to play better, making more shots in the court and I on the other hand started missing a lot. I was serving for the match at 5-4 but got broken then managed to get it to a tiebreaker where I won easily to win the match.
In my third and final round of qualifying I was up against a tough French player Ramialison who took out the 10th seed in the previous round. The match started out ok, but I never got comfortable out there. When serving she just ripped returns deep into the corners to put pressure on me right away. She also moved really well and took time away from me by standing close to the baseline and moved diagonally into the court to cut the ball off. But I just didn’t play well, my shots just weren’t there and shots were landing short in the court for her to attack. So I was pretty bummed. But I keep trying to tell myself there is always another tournament next week which there is, in Ratingen. Hopefully I can put some wins together there.



Center Court




Courtyard

View from the top

No comments:

Post a Comment