Thursday, October 13, 2011

Williamsburg, VA

So I finished my last tournament last week. Again I lost first round 3 & 3, but again I thought that I played well, my opponent just played better. I mean for my second tournament back I thought that I was hitting the ball well, I just don't think I constructed points well enough for the way my opponent was playing. That will come with time I guess, but I thought compared with my match from the previous week, I thought I played a lot better. I wasn't bailing out of points quickly like I said I did in my last match, the points were longer, I felt like I was moving around the court well. So I mean it's only a small step forward but it's a start. On the doubles side, myself and doubles partner Kirsten Flower made it to the semifinals. We played really well the first two rounds, playing doubles. A lot of girls seem to play singles when in fact it's a doubles match. What I mean by that is doubles is all about being aggressive, coming to the net, and finishing the point with a volley winner or overhead winner. Most girls nowadays don't like to come in to the net because they don't practice volleys or they just are not comfortable volleying. So when I say they play singles I mean they sit at the baseline, never coming into the net, and just hit cross court until someone misses. The way Kirsten and I played was serve volley, or return look to get to net, and finish with a volley or overhead. So that's what we did. In the semis when came up against two girls that were unpredictable. They played similar to how we played. So the score ended up being 3-6 6-4 (10-5) in their favor. We didn't play bad, they just hit some better shots on crucial points and that was the difference. So nothing to get mad about. I just now know to be a bit more attentive while at the net, because they caught me off guard a few too many times, and that's unacceptable to me. So I'll be sure to work on that for the next tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment